Saturday, March 31, 2018

The Phillips Curve Debate

As I wade into the Phillips curve debate, a voice in the back of my brain is saying, no. It is reminding me of a great couplet in a fantastic Bengali dystopian fantasy movie, Hirok Rajar Deshe (in the land of the diamond king), "The quest for knowledge is endless, (hence) the pursuit of knowledge is futile." Still, I persist.

Let us take stock of the main questions:

1. Is there a stable relationship between inflation and unemployment, as the Phillips Curve has been defined in recent times?

2. Is there a stable relationship between unemployment and wages, the original Phillips Curve? 

3. Do wages cause inflation? 

4. Ultimately, does unemployment cause inflation?

I am a firm believer in Jon Elster's dictum that explanation in social sciences means the identification of causal mechanisms. Inflation is caused by an increase in money supply is NOT such an explanation. Derivative ones of the idea such as the following: an increase in monetary base leads price setters to expect inflation and therefore set prices higher is also a useless mechanism. Have you ever come across a businessman that follows the monetary base and sets prices? The notion that money translates directly into inflation was dubbed Immaculate Inflation by Karl Smith.

The following schematic represents the basic mechanism I have in mind, and I hope to show some evidence for it:

Here is a summary of my views:

1. There is no stable Phillips Curve. There is a much better case for a wage Phillips curve than for a price Phillips curve.

2. The causality from unemployment to inflation runs through wages.

3. The relationship between unemployment and wages is nonlinear, context-dependent, and contingent on history and institutions. 

4. There is a positive feedback loop between wages and prices, but the strength of that loop is also context dependent.

5. Yes, central banks have the power to interfere with these causal processes, but they are not omnipotent as Monetarists assume. Central banks face a trilemma: there is an inherent conflict in maintaining low unemployment, stable inflation, and financial stability (see my posts). The early postwar decades were an exception.
Let us start with wages and unemployment. Outside of coercive arrangements, is it outlandish to suggest that low unemployment will tend to drive wages higher? Of course, the context matters--the degree of unionization, the implicit compact between firms and workers (see for instance the excellent book The End of Loyalty), the degree of monopsony in labor markets, etc. Moreover, the unemployment rate might not be a good indicator of the slack in the labor market, as we have seen for much of this cycle. That said, in a fairly competitive, capitalist economy, the smaller the pool of available workers, the more difficult employers will find to fill open positions. More important, employers are likely to pay up to retain workers who may be lured away. Let us look at the evidence. The following is an excellent chart from a Cleveland Fed report:  

As the chart shows, labor market slack has a stronger correlation with wages than with prices. In both cases, labor market slack leads--the correlations are much stronger when k is negative in the graph. To be sure, correlations have weakened in the post-1984 era. As I said, institutional context matters. Not only has unionization declined but also we have had extended periods of labor market slack in this era. As the chart below shows, the unemployment rate has been higher than the CBO's estimate of NAIRU for much of the post-1984 period.


Having shown some evidence for the first link, let us now turn to the wage-price link. In this case, there is a positive feedback loop: higher wages lead to higher prices, which in turn lead to demands for higher wages. Again, the context matters: for example the presence of institutional arrangements, such as cost-of-living-adjustments (indexation of wages to prices). Here is a chart that shows the employment cost index (ECI) against CPI services. I have used CPI-services ex-energy to isolate the prices of domestic nontradebles. In the tradeble sector, the ability of domestic producers to pass on cost increases will be constrained by competition from imports, especially in the era of global glut. Even a casual look at the chart shows that ECI leads CPI. I ran a crude two-way Granger causality test and the results reject the null hypothesis of no causality from wages to prices.


The Cleveland Fed paper, which runs the relationship between various wage measures and PCE, observes: "Our measures have been moderately positively correlated since 1960: both price inflation and wage inflation tend to be above (or below) trend at the same time (figure 2). The strongest correlations have been between core PCE inflation and the ECI. The weakest correlations have been with the CPH measure, which is not surprising given its volatility. Depending on the measure, wages either lead core PCE inflation very slightly or are contemporaneous with it: the correlation peaks come in quarter t+1 or t." They also note that the correlations have been weaker since 1980, which is to be expected given that there is widespread overcapacity in the domestic economy even outside the tradeable sector.

The usual Monetarist response is that the feedback loop between wages and prices would never get started unless the Fed accommodated the process by allowing money supply to increase. True, but the only way to curb the feedback loop is to weaken the real economy and the labor market. Immaculate control of inflation does not exist. Yes, expectations do matter, but more likely in the context of high inflation. At low levels of inflation, the expectations fairy is just that.

The bottom line: there may not be any stable Phillips curve but to infer that there is no relationship between labor market slack and inflation is not warranted.










17 comments:

  1. In life we need our love ones to always be there for us especially your husband if you are a female, and your wife if you are a male but sometimes they leave us lonely when we need them to be there for us, but you can actually make them to be there for you always. I'm going to recommend Dr Ekpen Temple if you are facing any challenges in your relationship to help you with whatever the problem is. Is it break up or misunderstanding in your relationship contact Dr Ekpen Temple at (ekpentemple@gmail.com) or on whatsapp +2347050270218.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREETINGS everyone out there.. my name is (Robert Lora) I am from CANADA i will never forget the help Dr Ogudugu render to me in my marital life. I have been married for 8 years now and my husband and i love each other very dearly. After 6 years of our marriage my husband suddenly change he was having an affair with a lady outside our marriage, my husband just came home one day he pick up his things and left me and the kids to his mistress outside at this time i was confuse not knowing what to do again because i have lost my husband and my marriage too. i was searching for help in the internet, i saw many people sharing testimony on how Dr Ogudugu help them out with their marital problems so i contacted the email of Dr Ogudugu i told him my problem and i was told to be calm that i have come to the right place were i can get back my husband within the next 48hours, to my greatest surprise my husband came to my office begging me on his knees that i should find a place in my heart to forgive him, that he will never cheat on me again, i quickly ask him up that i have forgiven him. Friends your case is not too hard why don't you give Dr Ogudugu a chance, because i know they will help you to fix your relationship with your Ex Partner. contact him: greatogudugu@gmail.com Or you can also reach him via whatsapp on +27663492930

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow is good to be back with my ex again, thank you Dr Ekpen for the help, I just want to let you know that is reading this post in case you are having issues with your lover and is leading to divorce and you don’t want the divorce, Dr Ekpen is the answer to your problem. Or you are already divorce and you still want him/her contact Dr Ekpen the spell caster now on (ekpentemple@gmail.com) or whatsapp him on +2347050270218 and you will be clad you did

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow is good to be back with my ex again, thank you Dr Ekpen for the help, I just want to let you know that is reading this post in case you are having issues with your lover and is leading to divorce and you don’t want the divorce, Dr Ekpen is the answer to your problem. Or you are already divorce and you still want him/her contact Dr Ekpen the spell caster now on (ekpentemple@gmail.com) or whatsapp him on +2347050270218 and you will be clad you did

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow is good to be back with my ex again, thank you Dr Ekpen for the help, I just want to let you know that is reading this post in case you are having issues with your lover and is leading to divorce and you don’t want the divorce, Dr Ekpen is the answer to your problem. Or you are already divorce and you still want him/her contact Dr Ekpen the spell caster now on (ekpentemple@gmail.com) or whatsapp him on +2347050270218 and you will be clad you did

    ReplyDelete
  6. last week my husband has presented me with divorce papers, It was the greatest shock of my life. I almost lost my life to alcohol... I lost my job, I got sick and was admitted into the hospital emergency ward, Two days later when I opened my eyes I saw my mom and my husband beside me holding my hands, I was shocked again and confused to see my husband.
    Then he knelt down and apologized that my best-friend told a lie that I was cheating on him, He was advised to divorce me so they can get married. I didn't understand, until I was discharged. My mom told me later that night how she contacted (lovesolutiontemple.com) that did a spell to make my husband open up the truth and make him remorseful to come apologized. It is left for me to forgive and accept him back, he has been calling my phone for days, sending a lot of messages.
    I need the public opinion what should I do now?
    Any one who has need their lover back should go to the (lovesolutionspell.net) to use their love solution spell. also for quick response (sangopriestesslovesolution@gmail.com). My mom said it took less than 12 hours to bring my husband back after I passed out. The temple spell is very powerful.
    My best friend has changed has blocked me and won't see me anymore. I still love my husband so very much. He wants me back, now I do not even know if I want him anymore. He hurt me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This has really worked and I am proud to testify of it. I saw a post on how a lady got her man back by DR AJAYI. He helped her to get her Ex Husband back. My wife divorce me 1 years ago to live with another man and I have try to let go of her but I could not, so I try to do many things to get her back and she refuse to come back to me. I visit a forum one day for tips to get her back and there I saw a lady testifying of how DR AJAYI helped her to get her man back after he was tie down with a spell by another woman and DR AJAYI was the one that help her. Although I never believed in spiritual work I reluctantly tried him because I was desperate and I contact him and explain my problems to him, to my greatest surprise DR AJAYI helped me to bring back my woman after 2 days and now my relationship is now perfect just as he promised. Getting your ex back permanently spell does not only bring back someone you love but it will also re-unite your lovers feelings for you to be as happy with that person. My woman now treats me like a king and always say she love me all the time. If you are passing through difficulties in your relationship, DR AJAYI can help solve marital problems, CONTACT HIM VIA EMAIL: drajayi1990@gmail.com or WhatsApp/Call him at +1 (631) 857-8318

    Thank you DR AJAYI for the help.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello please help me share this life story, I am Edward Leonardo After being in relationship with a lady called Candy for years, she broke up with me, I did everything possible to bring her back but all was in vain, I wanted her back so much because of the love I have for her, I begged her with everything, I made promises but she refused, I explained my problem to my friend and he suggested that I should rather contact a spell caster Dr Otumba that could help me cast a spell to bring her back but I am the type that never believed in spell, I had no choice than to try it, I contacted a spell caster and he told me solve everything and i will be okay before three days, that my ex will return to me before three days, he cast the spell and surprisingly in the second day, it was around 7pm My ex called me, I was so surprised, I answered the call and all she said was that she was so sorry for everything that happened that she wanted me to return to her, that she loves me so much, I was so happy and went to her that was how we started living together happily again, Since then I have made promise that anybody I know that have a relationship problem, I would be of help to such person by referring him or her to the only real and powerful spell caster Dr Otumba who helped me with my own problem, contact him through this Email (Dr.otumbaspiritual@gmail.com) or Whatsapp +14243266872 you can Email him if you need his assistance in your relationship on any other spiritual Case

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you in need of finance? we give out guarantee cash at 3% interest rate. Contact us on any kind of finance now: financialserviceoffer876@gmail.com whatspp Number +918929509036 Dr James Eric

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so excited my broken Marriage has been restored. My ex husband is back after he left me and our 2kids for another woman. I was so happy to meet Dr. OKu how he helps many people to bring their Lover back so i contact him to help me too. husbandThat was how Dr. Oku helped me to bring my  back.. A big thank you to Dr. Oku because I never thought my ex Husband will be back to me so quickly with your spell. You are the best and world greatest. If you are here and you need your Ex Lover back or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster now. Here’s his contact:Email him at: okutemple@gmail.com You can also Call/WhatsApp:+2348163425519

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't really know how to thank Lord Zakuza enough for what he has done me. My husband ignored me and went back to his mistress for the past 3 months. If not for the intervention of Lord Zakuza, i wouldn't have gotten back my husband. He's powerful spell brought back my husband within 48 hours. Is there anyone out there who needs to get back to he's or her lover back? Then, I suggest that you get in touch with Lord Zakuza now through WhatsApp on + 1 (740) 573–9483 and for more information, here's his website: lordzakuzaspells.com God bless you sir.

    ReplyDelete
  12. To anyone out there who thinks love spells don't work, I’m here to tell you that Lord Zakuza love spell is the best and most powerful. I am a wealthy man who has lots of assets and possessions but I have difficulty with women. Whenever I try to settle down with any, we end up breaking up and I had no idea of why I was going through such an experience in my relationship. It was so worrying that I couldn’t be myself anymore and I started searching for help everywhere even at my place of work. I was going through my work activities online and I came across a testimony of a lady called ( Febe Anouk ) regarding how Lord Zakuza helped her to restore her relationship with his love spell, I had to give it a try and I visited Lord Zakuza and I told him everything I was going through. Lord Zakuza consoled and promised to help me out with my situation by preparing a love spell for me. I followed the instructions given by him to me and within 48 hours, my Ex lover came looking for me and pleaded for forgiveness. Since I came in contact with Lord Zakuza, things have changed for good in my life and right now, I am married with two beautiful kids and my home is blessed. All thanks to Lord Zakuza I am forever thankful to you. WhatsApp him on +1 740-573-9483. Try him and your life will be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got a divorce from my husband when I was six months pregnant with my second child. We had been arguing and quarreling nonstop since the day our first child was conceived, no love nor trust from him anymore so he divorced me. And all these whiles, I have been trying all different means to get him back, I also tried some different spell casters here in my country, but none of them could bring Richard back to me. It was only DR ISIKOLO who guaranteed me an urgent 48 hours spell casting, and he assure me that my husband will be with me again. I am writing to offer my thanks and deep gratitude to you for keeping your promises, and for using your gifted and great powers to bring him back home. I was thrilled to know that you are specialized in reuniting Lovers. My husband is back and promise never to leave me again. If you doubt his ability, trust me. You should take a chance. It pays off in ways you could never even imagine. kindly contact DR ISIKOLO right now he is the only answer to restore your broken relationship or marriage. email: isikolosolutionhome@gmail.com or his WhatsApp: +2348133261196.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been in relationship with my boyfriend for 2 year now and we were planning to get married soon and all of a sudden he left me for another girl, i really love this guy and never can imagine my life without him. I further tried all my best to get him back but all my effort to get him back in my life did not work out. It was on this faithful day, i came across some comments on a website about this great spell caster called Dr Isikolo, so many persons claimed that he help them to renew their relationship and bring their ex back, i had to contact him because he was my last hope. I contacted him through his email and and told me everything invloved that is needed to be done which i did and he assured me that in 2 days time my boyfriend is going to leave the other girl and come back to me and it was a very great surprise to see my boyfriend coming back to me after two days. I am so very happy today that he came back to me and i achieved this with the help of Dr Isikolo, and i advice if you need his help too email him direct Email: isikolosolutionhome@gmail.com or his WhatsApp: +2348133261196

    ReplyDelete
  15. Do you need credit or partnership in funding your project or starting up business email us...

    johnleemill12345@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the informative contents
    I was diagnosed of HIV/AIDS years ago,after i had an unprotected with a young girl i felt would be innocent but unknown to me she was a carrier. i tried so many drugs and herbs in Europe and Africa but none could wash me clean again my dreams of having kids left me cause i couldn’t find any woman who wants to stay with me knowing that i was a carrier because i always tell them of my status due to the meekness of my heart i kept on hoping not until a month ago i decided to search the internet again to see the latest development on the cure of my HIV then i saw some post of praise about Dr Abiodun of drotaborabiodun@gmail.com then i decided to contact him though i have purchase herbs in the past from some Africa herbal men that didn’t work.we got talking,finalized the agreement and i sent payment as agreed then on Thursday afternoon which was exactly three days that i made payment DHL COURIER SERVICE called me and told me that they needed me to sign for package that they came to the address i provided and that no one was in so i went signed and took my herbs i took it for 21days as instructed and ran the test again and as the devil will be put to shame there was no trace of any virus or whatsoever in my blood stream anymore i couldnt believe it so i went to another hospital to be doubly sure it was still negative then i thought to myself what ever you believe in works surely for you Dr Abiodun of drotaborabiodun@gmail.com cured me of my HIV he could be of help to you just believe from him i knew how powerful nature is over the acclaimed science of humans his Tel/Whats-App: Dr Abiodun on +2349153551847 working 24 hrs world wide
    Email:drotaborabiodun@gmail.com dont be shy talk with him,get his herbs and be well again

    ReplyDelete
  17. To reduce HIV AIDS (CQ) side effects and permanently cure the virus, so that increasing its durationfor HIV AIDS could be safe, the drug was potentiated by stabilizing it with Medicinal synthetic Aluminum-magnesium silicate (MSAMS).CQ-treatment for five Plasmodium berghie -infected mice-groups Tel/Whats-App: +2349153551847 Email:drotaborabiodun@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

  Current Account Imbalances, Debt Buildup, and Instability Abstract: Orthodox trade theory focuses on the reallocation of real resources th...